Monday, December 28, 2009

Hope for the Future of American Education

Write a blog post about an event or experience in 2009 that gave you hope for the future of American education.

As an educator for the past five years, I have worked with many students, teachers and parents. Each of my relationships have enabled me to grow and develop as an educator. This past summer I had the amazing opportunity to work as a missionary in Kenya. While in Africa, I visited schools and was able to teach lessons to the children of Kenya. Each school was similar in that they were one room, had a dirt floor, handmade posters hung on the walls, one teacher, and minimal school supplies. However, even with their lack of space and supplies, I saw students who loved learning and a teacher who embraced her students and gave them her all. I was truly inspired by these students and teachers that I had met. They showed me the true meaning of education; a solid, trusting relationship between student and teacher, based on respect. The result, a tremendous amount of learning, joy, and inspiration.

My experience in Kenya made me aware of how fortunate we are in America to have schools which adequately house our students and the ability to raise funds for schools which are needy and less fortunate.

This post is part of the MAT@USC Hope for the holiday’s event. Did you have an experience or witness something in 2009 which gave you hope for the future of American education? If so, please see this post for more information on how to share it.

No comments:

Post a Comment